“For they bind heavy burdens and grievous to be borne, and lay them on men’s shoulders; but they themselves will not move them with one of their fingers.”Yashua, Mat 23:4
Yashua says this in Matthew. Some interpret this to mean “we no longer have need of the laws and customs of the Most High”.
But in the verse immediately before it he says this.
“All therefore whatsoever they bid you observe, that observe and do; but do not ye after their works: for they say, and do not.”Mat 23:3
That being said, let’s first establish that, according to Yashua himself, he did not come to nullify the law or the prophecies but to fulfill them by holding us accountable to the mere purpose of the laws and prophecies which requires even greater discipline. (Matthew 5)
These laws and prophecies make up the discipline of function… And despite what you may think, Yahuah doesn’t require much of us at all.
Three Areas of Discipline
There are only three areas of discipline in which Yahuah and Yashua has provided us instruction.
- Relational Function – how we interact with Yahuah and each other.
- Physical Function – how we maintain our health and the health of our community.
- Personal Function – how we fulfill our individual purpose on earth.
Within these 3 areas of functional discipline there are a number of guidelines we must follow and principles we must adhere to so that we are functional.
This article is about the guidelines. Principles are extensive, very specific, and better looked at from a topical perspective, usually in search of guidance about one’s personal function.
We erroneously interpret these guidelines as sin that leads to hell. What they actually do, when observed, is help prevent us from creating sin and going to hell.
Here’s what I mean.
One of the ten commandments say we shouldn’t desire what others have. That desire is disobedience and dysfunction but it isn’t sin according to modern interpretation. What happens after we desire what others have is the sin that we ourselves produce. The sin is the thoughts we create that then become actions that are anti-God and destructive to ourselves and others.
Hence Yashua says,
Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not kill; and whosoever shall kill shall be in danger of the judgment: But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.Matthew 5:21-22
Because It’s Not A Direct Way To Hell, Is It Okay To Do?
Does this mean its ok to be covetous? No, because…
- We’re directly and unequivocally commanded not to.
- It will result in us making more dysfunctional decisions that lead to sin.
- We and others will suffer the consequences of those decisions.
I’m saying, the purpose of law is not to condemn us but to direct us away from condemnation.
The Discipline of Function Simplified.
Relational Function (Exodus 20)
Put no power (man, money, institution, or idol) above Yahuah’s power.
- Do not make idols of earthly or heavenly things.
- Rely only on Yahuah’s power.
- Serve only Yahuah
- Don’t push Yahuah’s name/character for the sake of pushing it.
- Keep the Sabbath (work/message/be the middle man 6 days, on the seventh day return to Yahuah)
- Forbid work in your gates
- Yahuah guides us most intently on this day as he rests from working on the non-human aspects of his creation.
- We get to experience true freedom on this day, unencumbered by the worries of life.
- Honor your parents
- Do no harm to anyone in any way for any reason
- put your own desires ahead of doing what is functional,
- do not lie on your neighbor or give a false witness against them
- Don’t desire what others have.
Physical Function (Leviticus)
- Maintain the physical health of self and tribe
- Don’t eat animals that eat or would eat other animals.
- Exception: chicken and certain other birds has been made clean although it is not clean by nature.
- Don’t eat animals not intended for human consumption.
- animals that don’t consume food from the ground up into the digestive system AND don’t have split hooves,
- aquatic animals that don’t have scales.
- Contaminated foods including
- meat eating animals
- aquatic animals that don’t have scales
- sick, diseased, or deformed animals
- food and drink contaminated by fecal matter, urine, blood, other bodily discharge, or the flesh of dead animals or humans.
- Don’t eat/drink blood.
- Practice infectious disease prevention protocols to avoid the spread of disease, bacteria, or contagions including hand washing, cleanliness, and isolation/physical distancing.
- Work 6 days a week
- Keep your hygiene
- Don’t participate in sexual activities that may cause the spread of STDs.
Personal Function (The Entire Bible)
1. In prophecy
- Find your place in prophecy.
- Examine who you are and where you’ve come from.
- What has Yahuah been setting you up to do?
- Ask yourself in what prophecy are you operating.
- Determine where you currently are and where you’re destined to be.
- What prophecy are you currently fulfilling?
- What prophecy are you destined to fulfill?
2. In Life
- What do/will you do to fulfill the prophecy you’ve been called to? (i. e. Your work, ministry, purpose.)
- How do you fulfill the prophecy?
- What methods have you been tooled with to fulfill prophecy and your purpose?
Its so easy to get whisked away in the world’s traditions thinking its the discipline of Yahuah. It rarely is.
This article is a good way to get focused and began living functionally and according to your function.
We all have a job to do here. If you’re breathing, its because you’re not done yet. Dig deep and be brutally honest with yourself about who you are, what you’re doing that is functional and what about you is dysfunctional and begin the process of becoming a fully functional human being because it is what you were designed for.
Practice self-discipline according to Yahuah’s definition of function and you’ll achieve greatness in HIS eyes.
This is your blessing, to learn to operate in your function despite all the temptation to operate in misinformed, misguided, and lazy desires.
This article has 2 Comments
Born and raised in a Christian home but still confused.
That’s the thing Pertrenia… The Bible is not about religion or what we’ve been taught as Christians.
If you really want to know who God is, how he operates, and what his expectations are for you, you must be willing to develop a new way of thinking and a deeper personal relationship with HIM and HIS WORD… Because the way we were taught usually isn’t HIS way at all, but man-made religious doctrine that is often irreconcilable and contradictive to scripture.
The simple message here is this…
– To operate according to your design (God’s image) you have to become a functional being. The word “good” in the bible is actually the Hebrew word for functional. That is to be good is to operate as intended.
-God is concerned with three primary areas of your life… How you interact with HIM and others (relational function), your physical well-being (physical function) which is really about living long and healthy enough to accomplish your purpose on earth, and your purpose (personal function).
-He gave us these guidelines that we call laws so that we know how to be functional like HIM (good).
Following the guidelines are more simple than we think and are very achievable once we take religion out of it.
Hope this explanation helps.